Mayor Shannon Turk is inviting Camas residents to take part in guiding the City of Camas by volunteering on a committee, board, or commission. Several positions are now open for application until filled. Selected members will be appointed by the Mayor or another representative of the organization, and then confirmed by the Camas City Council.
The City of Camas oversees the following committees, boards, and commissions. All are currently accepting applications:
- Board of Adjustment (5-yr term) – Conducts public hearings on certain variance requests to dimensional requirements of the land development and zoning codes. May also act as the appeals body on building permits. An understanding of general zoning and building codes is highly desirable.
- Civil Service Commission (6-yr term) – Adopts rules and regulations related to civil service testing procedures and other processes for Fire and Police Department employees.
- Design Review Committee (ongoing) – Reviews and makes recommendations regarding development proposals as they relate to architecture, landscaping, and site design for compliance with City design guidelines and principles. Strong background in architecture, landscape design, and/or site design is highly desirable
- Law Enforcement Officers & Fire Fighters Disability Board (LEOFF) (2-yr term) – Adopts rules and regulations related to mandated benefits provided to law enforcement officers and firefighters hired under LEOFF I provisions.
- Library Board (5-yr term) – Adopts bylaws, policies, rules, and regulations for the Library.
- Parking Advisory Committee (4-yr term) – Advises the City about the parking policy and program implementation within the downtown commercial zone.
- Parks & Recreation Commission (3-yr term) – Advises the City Council on matters related to parks, recreation, and open spaces within Camas.
- Planning Commission (3-yr term) – Makes recommendations to the City Council as to best methods of conservation utilization, planning, and development within the City, and conducts public hearings as part of the decision-making process.
- Public Works Committee (ongoing) – Provides recommendations and guidance to the Public Works Department regarding the City’s infrastructure projects.
- Salary Commission (4-yr term) – Reviews the relationship of salaries to the duties of the Mayor and City Council Members.
To apply, interested residents must submit a Citizen Bio Form Application online, in person, by email, or by mail. The online version of application form is available at http://bit.ly/CamasBioForm_Online. The printable version of the application form can be picked up at City Hall. After completion, it may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, dropped off in person, or mailed to City of Camas, Attn: City Clerk Bernie Bacon, 616 NE 4th Avenue, Camas, WA 98607.
If appointed, Washington State law requires that members of City committees, boards, and commissions complete Open Public Meetings Act training within 90 days. Interested residents may visit the Open Government Training website at https://www.atg.wa.gov/opengovernmenttraining.aspx for details. Online training is available.