Help guide the City of Camas by volunteering on a committee, board, or commission! Several positions are now open (indicated below in red), and applications for them will be accepted until 5 p.m. on Fri., Nov. 22. New members will be appointed by the Mayor or another representative of the organization, and then confirmed by the Camas City Council.
All applications will be kept on file for future consideration if/when a vacancy occurs.
The City of Camas oversees the following committees, boards, and commissions:
- Board of Adjustment (5-yr term) – 1 POSITION OPEN. Conducts public hearings on certain variance requests to dimensional requirements of the land development and zoning codes. May also act as the appeals body on building permits. An understanding of general zoning and building codes is highly desirable.
- Civil Service Commission (6-yr term) – Adopts rules and regulations related to civil service testing procedures and other processes for Fire and Police Department employees.
- Design Review Committee (ongoing) – Reviews and makes recommendations regarding development proposals as they relate to architecture, landscaping, and site design for compliance with City design guidelines and principles. Strong background in architecture, landscape design, and/or site design is highly desirable
- Law Enforcement Officers & Fire Fighters Disability Board (LEOFF) (2-yr term) – Adopts rules and regulations related to mandated benefits provided to law enforcement officers and firefighters hired under LEOFF I provisions.
- Library Board (5-yr term) – 1 POSITION OPEN. Adopts bylaws, policies, rules, and regulations for the Library.
- Parking Advisory Committee (4-yr term) – 2 POSITIONS OPEN. Advises the City about the parking policy and program implementation within the downtown commercial zone.
- Parks & Recreation Commission(3-yr term) – 2 POSITIONS OPEN. Advises the City Council on matters related to parks, recreation, and open spaces within Camas.
- Planning Commission (3-yr term) – 2 POSITIONS OPEN. Makes recommendations to the City Council as to best methods of conservation utilization, planning, and development within the City, and conducts public hearings as part of the decision-making process.
- Public Works Committee (ongoing) – Provides recommendations and guidance to the Public Works Department regarding the City’s infrastructure projects.
- Salary Commission (4-yr term) – 3 POSITIONS OPEN. Reviews the relationship of salaries to the duties of the Mayor and City Council Members.
A representative of Camas serves on the following Clark County committees, boards, and commissions:
- Clark County Arts Commission (4-yr term) – 1 POSITION OPEN. Promotes awareness and support of the arts as a vital part of our community and local economy by creating a more visually pleasing environment, while also expanding the opportunity and accessibility of citizens to experience art in public spaces.
Application & Appointment
Applications for membership on all organizations are accepted year-round, as positions often open up due to unexpected life circumstances.
To apply, interested residents must submit a Citizen Bio Form Application online, in person, by email, or by mail. The online version of application form is available at http://bit.ly/CamasBioForm_Online. The printable version of the application form can be picked up at City Hall. After completion, it may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, dropped off in person, or mailed to City of Camas, Attn: City Clerk Bernie Bacon, 616 NE 4th Avenue, Camas, WA 98607.
If appointed, Washington State law requires that members of City committees, boards, and commissions complete Open Public Meetings Act training within 90 days. Interested residents may visit the Open Government Training website at https://www.atg.wa.gov/opengovernmenttraining.aspx for details. Online training is available.